The life-changing habit of making my own bed
Since I became consistent in making my bed every morning, I can attest to it having a more positive effect on my day. In fact, I trace all other good habits as stemming from this one.
Can it really be that simple?
5 reasons to make your own bed
- Reason #1: It sets you up for success - When I complete something at the start of my day, it's a signal to myself that I'm already on the right track.
- Reason #2: It builds onto the next habit - Staying on the right track is easier once my bed is made. As an anchor habit, it's easier to use it to trigger new habits like a chain reaction. I've used it to work out every morning, and more recently, to read a daily page of The Daily Stoic.
- Reason #3: It sets the standard – I always think that a cluttered room is a cluttered mind. Seeing my bed all made up makes me want to keep that standard up. We know how things could easily snowball into a mess, so we're just applying this the other way.
- Reason #4: It lowers stress - The messy sheets might be comfy while I'm in it, but once I'm out, I just see it as a crumpled mess. Making my bed makes me feel I'm easing out the kinks and also creating a sense of calm when everything is made.
- Reason #5: Prepares you for a good night's sleep - I love seeing my bed all made up like it's been reset. The act of pulling the sheets apart is a good signal to my brain to prepare for rest and to get proper sleep. Then tomorrow, I'll do this all over again.
Do you make your bed every day? What positive things has this habit given you?